When we last visited H.’s parents, his mum gave us a GIANT basket of apples from their garden, and so we’ve been on a bit of an apple craze lately. Fall and apple pie (or “American-style apple pie,” as it’s known here) just go together for me, so I decided to give it a go in an effort to use some of them up. For the recipe, I decided to straight to my Joy of Cooking book. It’s a trustworthy source, and I knew there would be detailed instructions.
I was dreading making the crust before I even began. I knew from experience that the crust is extremely finicky, and somehow I just knew something would go wrong.
As it turns out, there were quite a few problems with this pie!!
Problem #1 — Unlike the (one) previous pie crust I’d made (which had too much fat), this time there was too much flour. I think the problem stemmed from the metric vs. imperial measurements — the conversion wasn’t perfect and it caused problems.
Problem #2 — The pan we used was not meant for pies, and it made the whole shape too deep and rather awkward.
Problem #3 — There wasn’t quite enough crust.
Problem #4 — As a result of #1, the crust was nowhere near flaky enough. The taste was fine, but the texture was off.
The pie still tasted fine (the centre was apples, cinnamon, and just a touch of sugar as these were fairly sweet apples). However, I’ve decided that my next pie will use pre-bought crust (still have yet to find it here but I think it exists), unless I’m making it on a day where I truly have nothing else to do!